sexta-feira, 30 de agosto de 2013

Batmania Rio Interview: Sandy Collora

Interview made by Diogo Oliveira.


In 2003, the world of comic book fans was completely shattered because of a movie that assemble none other than Batman, the Xenomophos of Aliens and Predators, in a film that was a profound fidelity in each of their characters and violence never seen in movies like that. But the biggest impact of this was not the fact of having been assembled as separate franchises, but it was made independently of the Hollywood system. At this point, people have rediscovered the power of  fan-films, which have always existed, being based on comics, TV series or books, but the designer, filmmaker and artistic director Sandy Collora raised it to another level with 'Batman: Dead End', professionalizing the business and opening the door to numerous other productions that are influenced and / or a direct result of his work. Sandy has worked for years in Hollywood creating concepts, makeup and special effects, having worked at Stan Winson Studios before opening his own special effects production, plus his own work as a director, and will soon be releasing the documentary about the 10 years of 'Batman: Dead End ', derived from a successful campaign on Kickstarter. Batmania Rio interview Sandy Collora and conversation about his films, his influences, and of course, about Batman.


Batmania Rio: When you decide work with special effects and when you decide direct a film for first time?

Sandy Collora:  I always wanted to direct. I just wanted to get more experience with FX to try and help with getting things done as a director. I made my first short films around 1999 and 2000. I was 30 years old. By that time I had already worked with Jim Cameron and Steven Spielberg, so I had seen some truly great directors work. I learned a lot.

BatRJ: I believe your Brazilian fans, know you most because of ‘Dead End’ and ‘World’s Finest’, and didn’t know much about you other works, in special ‘Archangel’ and ‘Hunter Prey’. What you can talk about them? What have in common and different between them?

SC: I think 'Archangel' and 'Hunter Prey' aren't as popular because they are not Batman or Superman. It's that fact that make those films popular. I think they are well made, but their popularity or most of it, can be attributed to their subject matter. Just the way it is...

BatRJ: What was your first experiencies with Batman and/or comic books in general?

SC: I read Neal Adams Batman comics in the 70's when I was a kid.

BatRJ:  What is for you the starting point of doing ‘Batman: Dead End’?

SC: I wanted to make a Batman like the comics. The costume, the cowl... I wanted to do something different that presented the character a bit more accurately. Everyone has their favorite Batman. BDErepresents mine...

BatRJ:  I see a strong influence of Alex Ross work on ‘Dead End’, and also (correct me if i’m wrong’) a heavy hand of Riddley Scott’s work, in special ‘Alien’. What was you other influences for film, like what Joker you use as base for your Joker, etc?

SC: Alex Ross was a big influence on BDE. I really like his artwork, and tried to incorporate some elements of it in the film. I also like the work of Ridley Scott. I aspire to be like him...


BatRJ:  Was kind of shocking everyone at the time of ‘Dead End’ release saying that film was the best Batman film ever made? (and I still know people what think that)

SC: Whether or not it is the "best" representation, is up to the fans watching it. Like I said, everyone has their own vision and idea of what Batman should be. BDE is mine. I think it's the most accurate version to the comics that has ever been done, but that doesn't make it the best.

BatRJ:  Fan film exist for a really long time, in the 60’s was people already doing it, but how do you fell as the responsible of the revival of that moviment? Because between 2003 and 2007 have a strong quantity of fan films been made, in some way all influenced by you have done.

SC: Yes, I think BDE has influence a lot of young filmmakers. I can see the influences in their work. I think that's a good thing. I've been inspired by filmmakers that I like and look up to, so it's a nice feeling to be inspiring some of the younger guys out there. I like to see all their work.

BatRJ:  What is, for you, the main difference between you work in ‘Dead End and ‘World’s Finest’, after all these years?

SC: I think BDE is darker. WF was fun, and I like it, but it's kind of a brighter piece. They're both so short, it's kind of hard to say, but the style is definitely similar. I had fun on both films and remember them quite fondly.


BatRJ:  What do you think is so special with fan films and what he differ from the big-hollywood movies?

SC: I think BDE is special because it presented Batman in a way that no one had ever done before. The fact that there is no rubber armor suit, and I used things like the white eyes, the big cape, the rain, etc, made people just fall in love with it. I'm very proud of the film and that is has stood the test of time and the love for it has lasted this long. I appreciate all the accolades and praise it has gotten over the years from the fans.

BatRJ:  Where came the decision of making the documentary about the 10 years of Dead End?

SC: It was the ten year anniversary and I wanted to do something special for all the people who have supported me and the film over the years. It's important to stay connected to your fans and give back to them for supporting you and watching your film.


BatRJ:  Today, with Indiegogo, Kickstarter, and other funding plataforms, its become more accessible to crowdfunding more fan-films, or even fan-series. Do you think is already the next generation of the fan-film era and you think of doing something like this on the future, even with Batman or other hero?

SC: I think it's safe to say that the documentary will be the last thing I do regarding Batman. I pretty much have said what I needed to say with the character and about him. It made it's mark in the lexicon of the character and is well respected. I can't ask for more than that. I think it's important as a filmmaker to create new things and do your own, creative ideas. Secondly, I do not own the character of Batman, so there's only so much one can do with it. It's time for me to move on...

BatRJ:  What is your next projects, even directing or working with VFX?

SC: After the documentary, which will be feature length, my next film is a horror film called 'Shallow Water'. I hope people will be as supportive of my original work as they have BDE. Time will tell...

That's all! See you next time on the next 'Batmania Rio Interview'!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário